LS1 Teacher Inquiry

Tuesday 22 May 2018

Concept Star - speak, please!

How do I promote speaking and sharing ideas to my maths learners? I had no idea. I have hunches that there are confidence issues as well as oral language issues as I have discussed before. The ideas mentioned revolved around ESOL and underdeveloped oral language skills, however I also noticed that my learners for reading and writing (whom shouldn't have many issues with communication) were willing to share ideas within small groups, but not as a class.

After trying a talking hands approach and gaining some traction, I decided to try using a Concept Star with my reading groups as a testing ground before using it with my maths learners. Concept Stars are used by learners to note down concepts the have learned before telling others. See how it was used with two of my reading groups here:


Here is a Google Drawing template of the Concept Star adapted from the TKI ESOL Online page about speaking strategies. If you use this template, please leave a comment about how your lesson went.

No comments:

Post a Comment