LS1 Teacher Inquiry

Friday 21 September 2018

IKAN results... a small ray of hope

My pupils were tested on their knowledge earlier this term. Generally in New Zealand, this involves the IKAN test. My pupils however often need to be retested on the JAM (junior assessment for maths) to get a clearer idea of what they know as opposed to what they can hear, read, parse, recall, then write down within 3 seconds.

After seeing the results, I had a sense of a general increase in certain domains of maths, especially fractions. I have put it to the test and made a comparison.
Colour coded IKAN shift for 2018
With green being the code for an increase in level, this screenshot of my spreadsheet shows that there has indeed been a general improvement in the Overall Level out of the pupils present for both tests (there is one coding error for pupil #28, which made no overall change). IKAN's Overall Level though, is taken from the lowest score within the domain scores, so it doesn't necessarily show improvement. The large number of increases in fractions demonstrates this phenomenon.

I have taken the small win in fractions and have moved on to improving basic facts for the remainder of this term (since about Week 7), and next term I will focus on place value.


No comments:

Post a Comment